401(k) Retirement

The maximum number of employers sponsors retirement savings plans for their employees. With a 401(k) Retirement plan, you can save money for retirement.

It is based on deferred taxes, also commonly known as defined contribution plans, that is, you do not pay federal or state income taxes on savings or investment earnings until you withdraw the money at the time of retirement. The taxable income of most people, and therefore their tax rate, is lower in retirement compared to when they worked, so in the end, they pay significantly much lesser in on their taxes in savings.

The most ordinary kinds of employer-funded retirement savings plans happen to be the so-called 401 (k), 403 (b) or 457 plans (named for the Internal Revenue Service tax codes that govern them), and the Plans Economy of Savings.

Every single has a diverse target audience:

401 (k) plans happens to be presented to employees of private or public companies for profit.

403 (b) plans happens to be presented to employees of tax-exempt or zero-profit organizations, like hospitals, public schools, libraries, universities, churches and philanthropic organization.

457 plans happens to be presented to employees of local and state municipal governments (and those of a few local schools as well as state university methods).

Savings Economy Plans use to be offered to employees of federal civilians and non-uniform services.

Role of 401 (k) Plans work

With a 401 (k) retirement plan, money use to be subtracted from your salary prior to deducting taxes, which causes your taxable income to be reduced, and with that, you pay less taxes.

Eligibility for Participation

Some employers apply a waiting period before starting to participate in their 401 (k), sometime from one month to one year, while others allow employees to start making contributions immediately. In addition, it is not uncommon for an employer to wait until you have a similar waiting period before starting to make matching contributions to your account. Check the enrollment materials for your benefits to see what waiting periods, if any, you must meet.

Tax Amounts

The IRS sets a maximum amount that can contribute to a 401 (k) plan in a given year, and is usually adjusted up to account for inflation. For 2010, this limit is $ 16,500. In addition, employees over 50 can also make “additional contributions” above the maximum amount. For 2010, this additional amount to the contribution is $ 5,500, and is also likely to be adjusted upward in future years to take into account the increases in the cost of living.

Most plans allow employees to contribute a covered compensation percentage, in full percentages, up to a specified percentage, usually up to a maximum of about 20 percent to 25 percent. This higher percentage amount may possibly limit your ability to reach the maximum legal contribution, depending on your salary.

Employer Counterpart Contributions

Although not required by law, many employers contribute a portion of the contributions that employees make to their 401 (k) account. The amounts of the counterpart contributions vary greatly from one employer to another (more often than not from 25 percent – 100 percent of your payments, up to a fixed proportion of your recompense). Additionally, a few employers will boost their input based on their service years.

Concession Calendars

You are always 100 percent conferred on (that is, you have full ownership of) your own contributions to your 401 (k) account. Some employers make it fully conferred immediately on their counterpart contributions, while others have a concession calendar that summarizes what part of the company’s counterpart contributions and the earnings on your investments you have at any given time. In the latter case, if you leave the company before it is fully conferred, you would lose a portion of the company’s counterpart contributions. Go through your plan documents to check if this applies.

Change of Employers

If you leave your employer, there are several options on what to do with your 401 (k) account balance:

  • Reinvest your account balance in your new employer’s plan.
  • Reinvest your account balance in an Individual Retirement Account (IRA).
  • If your previous employer happens to allow it, you can leave your balance in that plan (even though for account balances under $ 5,000, your employer might ask you to shut the account).
  • Withdraw your account balance in a full cash payment.

The final option might sound alluring, but it happens to be almost never a good thought. Obtaining payment of the total amount will not only significantly reduce the savings for your retirement, but you will probably have to face significant tax consequences.

Last Words

You will have to pay federal (and possibly state) income taxes on that amount, plus a 10 percent penalty for early withdrawal unless you meet the requirements for an exemption (for example, if you are over 55 or if you have a disability) and, since the employer has an obligation to withhold 20 percent of its distribution for federal taxes, the cash payment could be significantly less than what you expected.